Statement of Policy & Text
King Reference Unit’s (KRU) Reference-By-Appointment service offers in-depth research consultations with a librarian with appropriate subject expertise.
Need for the Policy
- A consistent standard of customer service must be ensured.
- The scope of the reference-by-appointment service available to library patrons needs to be defined.
- Patrons request the service.
Requirements & Guidelines
- The SJSU academic community often requires in-depth consultation with a subject specialist to satisfactorily meet the demands of their research.
- The SJPL community requires in-depth consultation with a subject specialist to satisfactorily meet the demands of their research.
- In-depth instruction on databases or Internet use is referred to the appropriate librarian subject specialist for a reference-by-appointment.
Referrals to a subject specialist are made when:
- The librarian on either the Reference Desk or Telephone Reference determines the patron has an in-depth research question and would greatly benefit from an appointment with a subject specialist
- A Faculty member, student or community member requests a consultation with a subject specialist
All Librarians are expected to:
- Provide appropriate specialized instruction, if possible
- Perform these consultations at times other than assigned Reference desk and telephone assignments.
King Reference Unit
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|Head, SJSU Academic Services||Sandra Belanger||1/25/06|
|Manager, SJPL Reference & Web Services||Joan Bowlby||1/25/06|
Ruth Kifer, John Wenzler, Mary Nino, Luann Budd, Anne Cain, Neil Rufino, Sandra Stewart, Katie DuPraw
History & Dates
Category of Policy: User Services
Authorized by: Sandra Belanger & Joan Bowlby
Date Written: 11/15/05
Date Effective: 11/15/05
Date(s) of Revision(s):1/24/06
A. King Library Reference Unit Services Policy